The person responsible for overseeing the quality and legal standing of the books distributed on our website is Anthony Stanton, whose job is to evaluate manuscripts and carry out a thorough legal and quality inspection. Anthony has been working with the Obooko team for over 10 years and has been responsible for producing and publishing many of the books you see here on the site. A staunch supporter and defender of Intellectual Property Rights, he adheres to and upholds international Copyright laws. Two of his pet hates are plagiarism and digital piracy.
An experienced manager, Anthony has worked in digital publishing for over 14 years and has held senior executive positions in various design, print and publishing businesses during his career. He is a member of the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA).
In addition to quality control, Anthony's work at Obooko encompasses a range of creative and production processes, including cover design, proofreading, page formatting, and digital file conversion. Proofreading is in his blood: he still checks cereal cartons at breakfast time (he uses the technique of reading sentences backwards - you must try it!)
Original manuscripts (usually submitted as Microsoft Word documents) are inspected before file conversion. But if an author provides their own final files (pdf, epub, kindle) these are given a summary check, and the author is advised of any obvious errors. We don't edit books unless they are published by Obooko. The files supplied to us by authors are inspected to ensure they are of acceptable quality and readable on your device. However, not every sentence is scrutinized: perfect grammar is not a prerequisite. So please be mindful that not every book available for download is perfect. Even bestsellers contain errors! Many self-published authors have to edit their work themselves, so you may find the odd typo or grammatical error. But hey, these books are free!
These are some issues attended to in the checklist:
• Checked: for plagiarism (the book was not written by some else)
• Checked: the person submitting the book is the genuine author and Copyright holder
• Checked: legal written permission has been granted to Obooko for free distribution
• Checked: book cover and internal images have been used with permission
• Checked: for non-fiction, the author is qualified to write about the topic
• Checked: content meets our minimum standards for English grammar
• Checked: supplied digital files are useable and formatted correctly
• Checked: content complies with our terms and conditions
• Checked: the book does not contain advertising or affiliate links
• Checked: all digital files supplied are free from viruses
Failure to meet these minimum conditions will result in the book submission being rejected. To ensure quality standards, we reject many more books than we accept.
A "license" offers you protection. It is the permission that grants you certain rights or liberties. In this case, by granting you permission to download their book, store it on a device and read it, the author or publisher is issuing you a license. The author or publisher is regarded as the "licensor". The tangible licencse is the written authorization, which absolves you from any claim for infringement of the author's intellectual property rights, subject to you using the book strictly within the confines of the license and Copyright law.
In simple terms, it's like a standard driver's license: you are allowed to drive a car only; you are not automatically granted privileges to drive a huge truck or fast motorcycle. The license restricts and limits you to what you have actually qualified to drive.
The Obooko free book license grants you permission and protection for you to:
1. Download a book from Obooko.com in any digital format.
2. Store the file (pdf, epub, kindle) on your electronic devices.
3. Read and keep the work indefinitely.
The license will be revoked, and you will break Copyright law, if you:
1. Host, distribute or share digital files commercially on any other website.
2. Offer a book for sale in any currency.
3. Copy and pass the work off as your own (plagiarize).
The Obooko free book license is in writing, which means the author has granted permission, via our official book submission form or by postal or digital mail, for Obooko.com to host and distribute their book without charge. This written permission can be used as evidence in any case of an alleged infringement of the author's intellectual property rights.
When you download a free book from Obooko and abide by the conditions stated above, you are not only protecting the author's rights, but yours also.
Obooko: Honest, Legal, and Truthful. As you would expect.
Image credit: pch.vector at Freepik
© Copyright Obooko Publishing 2022