There are many checks we make before a book reaches our production studio for processing, including:
• Checked: for plagiarism (the book was not written by some else)
• Checked: the person submitting the book is the genuine author and Copyright holder
• Checked: legal written permission by the author has been granted to Obooko for free distribution
• Checked: book cover and internal images have been used with permission
• Checked: for non-fiction, the author is qualified to write about the topic
• Checked: content meets our minimum standards for English grammar
• Checked: supplied digital files are useable and formatted correctly
• Checked: content complies with our terms and conditions
• Checked: the book does not contain advertising or affiliate links
• Checked: all digital files supplied are free from viruses
Failure to meet these minimum conditions will result in the submission being rejected. To ensure quality standards, we reject many more books than we accept.
Once we are happy the book meets our requirements we apply our quality standards throughout the publishing process, from page-by-page inspection of original manuscripts, through to conversion into final digital output files (pdf, epub, kindle). When an author provides their own final files these are scrutinized and the author advised of any obvious errors. The only changes we make will be technical. We don't edit books.
The person responsible for overseeing the quality and legal standing of the books distributed on our website is Anthony Stanton, whose role includes evaluating manuscripts and performing a thorough legal and quality inspection. Anthony has been working with and advising the Obooko team for over 10 years and has been responsible for producing and publishing many of the books you see here on the site. A staunch supporter and defender of Intellectual Property Rights, he adheres to and upholds international Copyright laws. Two of his pet hates are plagiarism and digital piracy.
An experienced and often quoted design manager, Anthony has worked in the printing industry for over 25 years and has held senior executive positions in various design, print and publishing businesses during his career. He is a member of the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA).
In addition to quality control, Anthony's work at Obooko encompasses a range of creative and production processes, including cover design, proofreading, page formatting, and digital file conversion. Proofreading is in his blood: he still checks cereal cartons at breakfast time (he uses the technique of reading sentences backwards - you must try it!
A "license" extends legal protection to you as a user. It is the permission, given to you by the author, that grants you certain rights or liberties. In this case, you will have permission to download their digital book, store it on any device and read it. The file is your to keep. The author or publisher is regarded as the "licensor". The tangible license is the written authorization, which absolves you from any claim for infringement of the author's intellectual property rights, subject to you using the book strictly within the confines of the license and Copyright law.
In simple terms, it's like a standard driver's license: you are allowed to drive a car only; you are not automatically granted privileges to drive a huge truck or fast motorcycle. The license restricts and limits you to what you have actually qualified to drive.
The Obooko free book license grants you permission and protection for you to:
1. Download a book from Obooko.com in any digital format.
2. Store the file (pdf, epub, kindle) on your electronic devices.
3. Read and keep the work indefinitely.
The license will be revoked, and you will break Copyright law, if you:
1. Host, distribute or share digital files commercially on any other website without permission.
2. Offer a book for sale in any way or in any currency.
3. Copy and pass the work off as your own (plagiarize).
The Obooko free ebook license is in writing, which means the author has granted permission, via our official book submission form or by post or email, for Obooko.com to host and distribute their book without charge on their behalf. This written permission can be used as evidence in any case of alleged infringement of the author's intellectual property rights.
When you download a free book from Obooko and abide by the conditions stated above, you are not only protecting the author's rights, but yours also.
Obooko: Honest, Legal, and Truthful. As you would expect.
Image credit: pch.vector at Freepik
© Copyright Obooko Publishing 2022