This ebook collects all 10 parts of SilverlightShow.net article series '10 Laps around Silverlight 5 series'. This resource, authored by Silverlight MVP and Silverlight insider Michael Crump, is a complete guide to all new features of Silverlight 5, with uptodate code samples, demos and valuable references.
In this ebook we’ll cover the new and exciting features in Silverlight 5. I am going to guide you step-by-step through the process of getting started with Silverlight 5 and then we will dive into the features that are the most important to you.
But first, we are going to :
- Explain why you should read this ebook over other Silverlight 5 resources.
- We will give a very brief introduction to Silverlight.
- Take a look at the Roadmap for this series.
- Review Silverlight’s history.
- Download the bits required to develop a Silverlight 5 application.
- Become familiar with creating a new Silverlight 5 application.
Why read this ebook over other resources?
I’m sure you have seen a lot of Silverlight 5 information on the web and are wondering what makes this ebook different, so I will go ahead and tell you.
- Individual blog posts about Silverlight 5 are scattered all over the internet, it takes time to research and find relevant information. In this ebook, all information will be grouped together and easily referenced.
- Post-beta, Microsoft changed RichTextBox to RichTextBlock. Many samples on the web are still showing the old version and have never been updated.
- Breaking changes in Silverlight 5 that have happened recently will be included.
- I am a Silverlight MVP / Silverlight Insider and XAML Advocate. I have spent the last few years of my life specializing in Silverlight and sharing the information to others.
A (very) Brief Introduction to Silverlight
Microsoft Silverlight is an application framework for writing Rich Internet Applications. The run-time environment is available as a plug-in for most web browsers and works on a variety of operating systems including Windows, Mac and Linux. While most people know Silverlight for the media capabilities, it has quickly turned into a solution for many Line-of-Business applications. Silverlight 5, which is expected at the end of this year, includes many new features that were not included in the previous version.